Seldom does a packaged food that comes with a keenly inscribed shelf-life inspire a recipe in the Tadka kitchens, even if we’re all for easy-does-it ideas to liven up the dinner table from time to time. A Trader Joe’s special that prompted this quest, after a couple of tasty but long-drawn endeavors, resulted in a winning recipe that turned out to be an instant hit in our circles. Oven roasted red peppers and tomatoes, suffused with the smoky aromas of a typical fired-up grill, pureed to a lush smoothness, seasoned with touches of home-spun spices and dressed up with a delicious avocado-corn topping..this savory soup is quite simply a red-hot sensation to say the least.
- 1 Large ripe tomato, halved
- 1 Large red bell pepper, cut into big strips
- 1 Medium-sized onion, halved
- 3-4 Garlic pods, de-skinned and mashed lightly
Line all of the above on a baking sheet and roast in a pre-heated 375 F oven for 25-30 minutes. Let cool and puree to a smooth blend in your food processor or blender.
For the soup -
- 1 Teaspoon butter
- 1/4 Teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon pepper/ red chilli powder or a combination of the two
- A dash of cinnamon powder
- Salt according to taste
- 1 Teaspoon brown sugar (optional)
In a pot, warm the butter and add the dry powders, stir for a minute and then pour in the puree, salt and sugar (if using) and bring to a simmer on a low flame, for about 12 minutes. Serve with a dollop of sour cream, or any toppings of your choice. We used a delicious avocado-corn mix for a nice touch of color and crunch to complement the mildness and the creamy texture of the soup.
- 1 Avocado, cut into small cubes
- 1/4 Cup corn kernels, cooked and cooled
- 1-2 Tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- Salt or rock salt to taste
- 1 Green chilli, finely minced (optional)
- A squirt of lime juice
Mix all of the above in a bowl and top soup with it, or serve on the side with tortilla or naan chips as you prefer.
Another fabulous Roasted Red Pepper recipe from Tadka Pasta – Paneer in Roasted Red Pepper Curry
Find more Indian-inspired recipes using everyday ingredients in our new eBook – MANGO MASALA: 60 Indian Recipes From Your Local Supermarket..now available on Amazon.com.