Indian-style Chinese cuisine has come a long way since Eau Chew opened its doors to Kolkatans about 87 years ago, and our mixed-vegetable stir-fry is suggestive of just that. A conflagrant and chromatic combo of broccoli, carrots, red peppers and zucchini tossed in a predominantly garlicky, mildly gingery, sweet-sour sauce to go with our Triple the Onions! Swirly Leek Noodles, up next on Tadka Pasta..
Chili Garlic Veggie Medley
- 1 Small head broccoli, cut into small florets (We used the leaves and stem also)
- 1 Large carrot, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 Teaspoon minced ginger
- 2 Spring onions, white part only, minced
- ½ Teaspoon red chilli flakes
- 1 Red Bell Pepper/capsicum cut into large chunks
- 1 Medium zucchini sliced into half-moons
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Sauce -
- 1 Tablespoon tomato-chilli ketchup (or use ketchup mixed with Sriracha)
- 1 Teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 Teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 Teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 Teaspoons cornflour mixed into a slurry with half a cup of water
- Mix together all the ingredients for the sauce and set aside.
- Bring water to boil in a pot and separately blanch the carrots and broccoli just for a minute or until slightly softened but still crunchy. Drain, rinse in cold water and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large wok and add the ginger, garlic and onions. Stir for a couple of minutes on medium heat. Add the red chilli flakes and then the red bell pepper/capsicum and the zucchini. Toss well on high heat and then tip in the blanched carrots and broccoli. Once the vegetables get slightly caramelized, pour in the sauce. Add the salt and pepper. Simmer for a minute and then take off the heat.
Serve the Medley with our Triple the Onions! Swirly Leek Noodles, recipe coming up soon..
And for more simple Indian-inspired recipes using supermarket ingredients, check out our new eBook: MANGO MASALA: 60 Indian Recipes From Your Local Supermarket..now available on Amazon.com.