Some things in life are far more endearing when done the old-school way. Like these expressions of love: a hand-written note, a bunch of flowers picked from the garden, a home-cooked meal. And in that same vein, our delightful, time-tested dessert can be made with yogurt, primarily, and just a handful of other ingredients. It calls for no fancy kitchen gadgets and can be made in many different ways too, to suit your taste, or your sweetheart’s, this Valentine’s.
A cloud of soft, fluffy chocolatey, caramely yogurt mousse..luscious in every bite and perfect to serve topped with fruits, nuts, or even toffee, granola, or dry fruit bits. It can be put together in minutes, and you can leave it in the refrigerator to set while you hum a retro love song and whip up a simple, fresh meal for your loved one/s. Because a sweet treat, like love, is best when it’s simple and old-fashioned..
Chocolate-caramel Yogurt Mousse
- 3.5 Cups Organic yogurt, hung in a cheesecloth overnight
- 1/2 Cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 Cup chocolate syrup
- 2 Tablespoons sugar (or according to taste)
- 1 Packet of unflavored gelatin
- 3 Tablespoons cold water
- Water in a saucepan to immerse the gelatin bowl
- 1/4 Cup caramel flavored whipped cream
- Mixed berry jelly to cover the bottom of the serving bowls
- Fresh raspberries to top the dessert
Cream the thick, hung yogurt, condensed milk, chocolate syrup and sugar in a bowl using a whisk or fork in measured, medium-speed strokes until everything comes together airily. Put the gelatin in the cold water, stir, and place in the hot water bath of the saucepan until it dissolves completely. Mix in with the yogurty fluff, fold in the whipped cream gently, and put in serving bowls with berry jelly on the bottom. Refrigerate for about 2-2 1/2 hours until set, serve topped with raspberries or any fruit of your choice.
- You can top this dessert with crunchy bits of walnuts, almonds, or even pecans.
- Also, you can use plain whipped cream in place of the caramel flavored one, or add a fruity flavor to the yogurt by using mango or strawberry puree.