It’s back to school for our kids and back to the usual lunchbox song and dance for us. While we usually throw in a sweet surprise or two for our girls to get excited about at lunchtime, we also like to ensure they’re getting their fill of protein and vitamins with whatever little the lunchbag can hold. Up here is a super easy and delicious sandwich idea that is tangy and crunchy and a big hit with our girls (and whoever gets a bite out of this). While broccoli isn’t hard to please anymore, it’s the walnuts and cheese that seem of a sudden to require some recommendation and hence we’ve combined all these things and packed them between soft slices of multigrain bread so little gets lost in between.
- 1 Cup steamed broccoli
- 2 Tablespoons chopped roasted walnuts
- 1 Tablespoon cream cheese, Greek yogurt, hung curd or mayonnaise
- ¼ Cup grated cheddar or processed cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ Teaspoon mixed Italian herbs
- 4 Slices bread – we used soft Multigrain
- Butter or cheese spread for the bread
- Finely chop the broccoli and place it in a bowl. Add the walnuts, cream cheese, cheese and season to taste with salt, pepper and herbs. Toss gently.
- Butter the bread and trim the crusts if desired. Divide the broccoli filling between the 2 sandwiches and wrap well in plastic wrap or place in a ziploc bag.
Note – If you have some lettuce on hand you could add a few leaves to the sandwich for freshness and additional crunch.