The buttery, creamy, melt-in-your-mouth texture of avocados is far too appetizing to let go of a chance to use them in our recipes. When we’re left with a heap of avocados, when we’ve made ample batches of sandwiches and kababs in the days leading up to the acquisition of a fresh lot, we don’t blink twice before jazzing it up to use in another fun-filled snack, pun unintended. These roly-poly deep-fried beauties come alive with the punch of sweet-hot-sour tastes of the typical chaat variety, and the lusciousness of avocados walloped with a dusting of chilli powder and a squirt of lemon juice.
Avocado Pani Puri
- 1 Avocado
- 1 Lemon
- 30 Puris (Crisp, hollow, spherical crackers)
- ¼ Cup fresh mung bean/dal sprouts
- Salt and chilli powder, chaat masala to taste
- ¼ Cup sweet tamarind chutney
- Pani or spiced water (recipe follows)
- Slit the avocado into 2 halves and remove the seeds. Scoop out the flesh using a sharp-edged spoon and cut it into chunks. Transfer the chunks to a bowl and squeeze some lemon juice all over the chunks. Sprinkle with salt, chilli powder and chaat masala to taste.
- When you are ready to serve, crack the tops of the puris and make a hole just enough to fill them. In each puri add an avocado chunk, some mung sprouts and a dollop of sweet chutney as the filling. Pass the Pani (spiced water) in wide-mouthed cups, one for each person. Dip the filled puris in the Pani and stuff the entire puri in your mouth.
Tadka’s Shortcut Pani for Pani-Puri
- 1 Litre cold water
- ¼ Cup mint-coriander chutney (Or 2 cups mint+1 cup coriander leaves+2 green chillies ground to a paste)
- 2 Tablespoons sweet tamarind chutney
- ½ Teaspoon chaat masala
- ½ Teaspoon kala namak or powdered rock salt
- 2 Tablespoons boondi
Stir the chutneys and spices into the water. Top with the boondi just before serving.
For a dressed up version of the avocado filling, mix in some finely chopped onion, tomato, minced green chilies and cilantro/ coriander leaves before squirting the lemon juice.
Stop by an Indian grocery store and you should be able to pick up a kit that includes everything you need for this dish – the crackers, instant mixes for hot and sweet chutneys and the pani. Ask for a Pani Puri kit by Haldirams.