When the sun is out and tolerable in Bangalore, our minds hark back to the beaches of Fr’isco, to the tall, cooling glasses of fizzy, fruity, creamy sodas guzzled down breathlessly..leaving frothy mustaches that lived long enough to tell a tale. Here we bring back the freshness of that memory with our Mango flavoured Italian Sodas topped with just a touch of cream to make you go hmmm..
Mango Flavoured Italian Cream Soda
- 1 Cup water
- 1 Cup sugar
- 1″ Piece fresh ginger root
- 1″ Cinnamon stick
- 1 Large ripe mango
- 1 Litre club soda
- 1 Tablespoon cream whisked with 1 Tablespoon milk or 2 Tablespoons Half ‘n Half
- Make the simple syrup – Put the sugar and water in a saucepan and simmer until the sugar dissolves. Add the ginger and cinnamon stick, cover and steep for 15 minutes. Discard the ginger and cinnamon. Set the syrup aside.
- Meanwhile peel and deseed the mango. Puree the mango flesh in a blender/mixie and pass the puree through a strainer. Return the strained puree back to the blender and add 3/4 of the simple syrup, reserving the rest. Blend until smooth. Pour the mango syrup into a pitcher.
- To serve, add some ice into the glasses. Pour in the mango syrup, filling the glasses about a third of the way up. Fill the glasses with the club soda. You can adjust the ratio of syrup and soda to your taste – add more of either, and use the reserved simple syrup for additional sweetness if desired.
- Finally top each glass with a teaspoon of the cream mixture and stir well. Serve immediately.
Garnish with luscious cubes of fresh cut mango.
You can make the mango syrup a few hours ahead of time and stash in the fridge to have ready for when friends are expected.
Featured in – Parade.com – Mango Madness with 21 Recipes